The Ocean-Friendly Restaurant program is run by the Surfrider Foundation, an organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. The Ocean-Friendly award recognizes restaurants that are committed to cutting out wasteful single-use plastic by committing to the specific criteria listed at the bottom of this blog.
The following restaurants on Cape Island are recognized as Ocean-Friendly establishments. Congratulations to them for committing to these criteria and supporting this important mission!
There are specific criteria that any restaurant must meet in order to receive the “Ocean-Friendly” distinction:
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- No plastic bags are used for takeout or to-go orders.
- Single-use utensils, straws, condiments, and other accessory items are provided only upon request.
- Beverages are not sold in plastic bottles.
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for alternatives made from other naturally occurring materials and reusables.
Then, they must also choose a minimum of three of these criteria:
- A discount is offered for customers with a reusable item (e.g. cup, container, bag).
- Vegetarian and vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or no seafood is served.*
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts are in place.
- Concessions and pre-packaged food items are not sold in plastic packaging.
- Composting efforts are in place for food waste.
- Neither single-use plastic nor bio-based plastic containers are used for takeout or to-go orders, reusable containers are preferred.
* Locally sourced, sustainable seafood is preferred and should be prioritized when Seafood Watch recommendations do not apply.
If you’re a restaurant interested in participating in the Ocean-Friendly program, click here to sign up and learn more.